You win some, you lose some.
The Make Something 365 challenge continues. The past few days have pretty much been losers, so I’ll go through them quickly
Prompt #6 (my 5th) January 5th: Look in the kitchen and work with the first fruit or vegetable you spot. It could be in the form of juice, jam, or even canned.
I had no idea what to do, so here’s an apple with a mustache and top hat.
Prompt #7 (My 6th), January 6th: Today, make a stencil and use it in your work.
I had no idea what to do, plus I had my first day of work, so I didn’t have a ton of time. I made a stencil out of cardstock and colored it in with color pencils. I had some cool ideas with paint, but as I’ve said previously, I don’t really paint, so I don’t have any. It’s really just some boring experimentation all by itself, but it could probably be used for something cool.
It’s at least an interesting exercise in visual perception, since there isn’t a circle there, but I bet you think you see one.
Prompt #8 (My 7th), January 7th: Transform an old book into something new by cutting, folding, gluing, and so on.
I’d seen this pin on Pinterest about making a hollow book. (OMG, I just thought of an awful pun given the book I selected…Figure it out yourself; I’m not going to be that lame). I remember seeing a tutorial for it when I was a kid, and I always thought it looked pretty cool, so I decided to give it a shot. I decided to use the last Harry Potter book, as it was the thickest hardcover I had lying around that I was willing to cut open.
This is a multi-day project, and one day of working on it killed my hands, so this is on hold for the moment, but I do intend to finish it.
I followed the instructions pretty much to the letter, alternating between an xacto knife and two different box cutters. Two cautions for anyone who wants to try this: I recommend letting the glue dry for longer than she suggests. I had to pretty much manhandle the book to hold it still for cutting, and some of the pages crinkled up, forming this little bubble that basically hardened that way. I’m going to try to glue it back in place, but I’m not sure of I’ll be able to fix it. Also, try not to hold onto the front cover as a brace, because I think it’s entirely possible that I will pull mine off.
I’ve also determined that there’s no way to cut a book neatly. No possible way. Not one this thick anyway. Once you get more than a half inch or so down, a ruler just isn’t going to cut it (no pun intended that time) as a straight edge, because the blade isn’t long enough. I’ll update this one when it’s finished.
I postponed prompt#9 because it involved breakfast, and I had already eaten mine when I read it. I did do it today though, and it will be in my next update
Prompt #10 (my 8th), January 8th: Use only water as your medium/inspiration today.
I wasn’t sure what to do here either. When I’d been messing with the stencil from Prompt #7 and thinking about paint, I remembered that I had watercolor pencils. I decided to color in the stencil with the pencils and see if I could get the paint to drip. Obviously, it isn’t using water as my “only” medium, but for me it was more the focus than the pencil segments.
The problem I experienced here was that the water would pool in certain areas of the page and would seemingly curve around some colors. For instance, no matter what I did, I couldn’t get the blue in the top right to bleed. After failing holding it vertically, I angled it to the side some and tried again, but that didn’t work either. So at that point I gave up.
I’m not particularly happy with any of these (except maybe my little apple man) but I’m glad I’m experimenting with different things. Even if it does mean that my previously clean craft room is now an explosion of random supplies.