Night of the Living Kindle Case

07/19/2012 at 10:54 am Leave a comment

In my efforts to make myself a kindle case, I went through several iterations. I think I’m happy with the final result, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I ended up making another one at some point.

I started off trying to make one with this embroidery pattern on it because, obviously, it’s perfect. I picked out cool fabric, and awesome thread colors (similar to the ones shown in the pattern, actually, though I hadn’t looked at the colored version).  Something about it just wasn’t right though. I don’t know if it’s because I used a larger form of the design and shrunk it down, or just because I’m not yet fabulous at embroidery, but the lines were sloppy, too close together, and it just didn’t look right. So I gave up on that and looked at all the other embroidery patterns I desperately wanted to put on something, and I settled on this:

Not book related, but awesome. From the moment I saw that pattern, I knew I had to put it on something.

From an embroidery perspective, this was the first time I used variegated (fancy term for multicolored) embroidery floss. I always liked it, but was never really sure what to do with it.  It was perfect here though. You can see it on the bottom of the spool of thread. That’s all one strand of thread. I thought the multiple colors would make the wood grains look a bit more realistic (as realistic as it can look in colored outlines anyway.

For the lining, I used a soft bright green fabric.  It went with the color of the thread, which was chosen for zombie-skin color, not just because I like bright green. I decided to sew it together with black thread, so it would be less obvious on the outside.  I used a blanket stitch, so it wouldn’t look like I was trying to hide the thread on the inside, since there was no way that was going to happen.  And I think it looks pretty cook on the inside, kind of Frankenstein’s monstery:

This of course has the added benefit of making the fact that my stitches are messy a “design feature” rather than a demonstration of what can only be called my “lack of mad sewing skillz.”

I was originally going to put craft plastic in it to make it rigid, but changed my mind, and now I kind of wish I had. The Kindle would be a bit more protected if I had.  This is really why I wouldn’t be surprised if I made a new one, not because I don’t like the embroidery job, which I’m actually quite pleased with. Possibly the best thing I’ve embroidered so far.

That’s it for today. Check back tomorrow for more book and vintage monster related stuff in Geek Craft Friday!

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , .

GeekCraft Friday #2 GeekCraft Friday #3. This one’s for the literary nerd.

Say it!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


%d bloggers like this: